Great Tips for A Healthy Winter
Follow these important tips for a healthy happy winter!
- Eat A Healthy diet. Maintaining a good healthy diet full of fresh fruits and vegetables and proteins is a good way to keep your body clean and in good working order. Try eating an extra piece of fruit or veggie every day too!
- Keep Stress To A Minimum. Studies have linked high stress levels to making a person more susceptible to catching colds and flu and becoming ill over winter. Minimize your stress by working reasonable hours at your job. Try to be organized for Christmas and spread out shopping and chores around the festive period. Aim for at least one night per working week to spend with friends and family to relax and enjoy.
- Do Your Homework To Find The Best Supplement For Your Health. Even if you eat “perfectly” all the time with loads of fresh fruits and vegetables, you still need to boost your nutrition with a supplement. What supplements you need will depend significantly on your lifestyle. A popular supplement to take during the winter is vitamin D. It is crucial for immune support, and will go a long way to fighting off winter time colds, flu and respiratory troubles.
- Exercise Regularly. It is important to exercise regularly, even if only for 15 minutes a day. Get out and take a short walk and enjoy the cooler weather. Nothing has been proven to be as immune-boosting and mood-boosting as GETTING MOVING!
- Be Careful. When the ground becomes icy it becomes very dangerous and many falls are recorded around the winter time. Wear suitable footwear with good grips, slow down your walking pace and watch where you are going. If you do fall please contact your chiropractor for a spinal screen to check that no damage has been done.
- Keep Warm. Wear layers of clothing and hats, scarves and gloves to keep warm. When we are cold our muscles contracting constantly to keep us warm which can make us feel stiff and achey over a period of time.
- Get The Right Amount Of Sleep Every Night. The average person needs 6-8 hours of sleep per night. If you’re not getting enough sleep, your body is extremely vulnerable to illness. Sleep is very much like fuel that recharges your batteries and allows your body to heal.
- Slow Down On The Sugars. During the winter period we tend to over indulge in sugars, whether it be cakes and sweets but also some foods that are high in carbohydrate and readymade foods. Although all of these things are made with different types of sugars, your body still converts them to sugar, which will compromise your immune system and could fuel your inflammatory process.
- Drink Plenty Of Water. With the winter season here, it’s more important than ever to consume the right amount of water for your health. Many people drink more alcohol over the festive period which causes our body to become dehydrated. Please make sure that you replenish your system.
- Keep Up With Your Regular Chiropractic Adjustments. Don’t wait till you’re “sick” and need a boost. Regular chiropractic care has been shown to positively affect your nervous system and maintain the function of your spine. Not only that, by getting all those benefits and staying healthy through preventative or wellness-based adjustments keep you feeling great through all seasons.