Staying Hydrated this Festive Season!
As we come towards Christmas, we find ourselves reaching for hot caffeinated drinks and staying away from the icy water.
Staying hydrated is very important for the health of your spine and joints, as well as maintaining energy levels. Water also helps to not over indulge during big meals, and make you feel fuller for longer.
Hot drinks like coffee and tea (although they are made up using water) dehydrate the body. Caffeine is a mild diuretic, which means the body is encouraged to lose more water by urination. You then end up feeling like you need another drink, and the cycle goes on!
Here are some tips to keep hydrated and healthy this Christmas:
- If you don’t fancy ice cold water from the tap, pour a jug of water the night before and leave it overnight so it is room temperature the next day
- Place a slice of lemon or some strips of cucumber to give water a delicate fruity flavour
- If you’re drinking alcohol, make sure you rehydrate with lots of water before going to sleep
- Try alternating between one alcoholic drink and one small glass of water
- Stick to 2 cups of caffeine a day maximum, and not after 5pm
- A healthy adult should drink between 2-4 litres of water a day!
- If you’re looking to lose weight or trying not to gain any over the Christmas period, then try and drink a pint of water before any meal. This will make you feel fuller, so you avoid over-eating.
If you’re worried about your aches and pains this festive period then don’t want til January to do something about! Call us on 01707 333390 to book in and get ahead of the game. Merry Christmas!